View Single Post
Old 2010-07-16, 11:47   Link #1105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmcho View Post
On a side note, the westernized cover is horrible.
yeah, there are like 10 pages discussing it further up the thread. Well, the "live photo" style covers let the books fit in with all the other lurid covers in western bookstores. They hoped that would broaden the appeal outside "the usual band of fan maniacs". Walking down the average fiction aisle these days, you almost feel like the aisles should be cordoned off as adults-only. That goes for mainstream as well as sci-fi/fantasy.

Unclear whether sales can be tracked to check that theory out though. The books may simply sell well regardless. I didn't *hate* the western covers (they're pretty much just 'live photo' renditions of our favorite wolf goddess ホロ), but I had problems with the quality of the fur texture and the way the tail was drawn (artist failed tail anatomy ). The first book cover also made it appear the story was much more lurid than it was. I'd have muted it a bit and added in piles of various coinage.

After all, the books are as much economic adventures as they are about pagan wolf goddesses (j/k)