View Single Post
Old 2004-12-28, 08:42   Link #67
lensman

Send a message via Yahoo to lensman
Mahou Sensei Negima-The Anime/Fansub Thread

Well, the anime is coming on the 5th of January (not the 20th), and there is already a trailer online:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/b-bansen/anime/negima.html

I figure that, with the rate the fansub groups are working right now we will see a fansub before the 20th of January, unless "they" decide to pull a Mediafactory again. That's why I decided to open this thread now to discuss the raws and the fansubs of Negima.

Before we start, lets say that I am willing to watch the anime for what it's worth on its own, and not what it's supposed to be. I enjoyed the Love Hina TV character designs, even though they were different from the manga, because they suited an animation better. Hell, I even liked Mutsumi's more mature character design better in the anime (in the manga you can't tell she is older than Keitaro and Naru). Even though the anime was MUCH more inferior than the manga, it was a good anime in its own right.

OK, first impressions judging by the trailer.

I didn't like the trailer that much because it showed everything on a 4-way split with one side displaying the characters, and the other displaying scenes from the show. I had to watch it 5 times just get a small glimpse of all the characters, and figure out what was going on. Why can't they do a normal trailer like everyone else?

The character designs were OK. Asuna's eyes weren't as irritating as they were in the initial promo. Of course this might actually be due to the fact that I was watching the trailer on a lousy dial-up with really low resolution. Sayo, Nodoka, Yue, and Kazumi were spot-on, and I am looking forward to see them animated (even though I am not sure if Sayo and Kazumi will make it on-screen).

All around the Negima forums, a lot of complaints have been raised about the character's hair. Chisame has green hair, while Chiduro (or is it Chizuro?) has purple. I don't really mind the mind the hair, as it's Standard Operating Procedure in anime, but the trailer, with the faces of the students interchanging rapidly, brought out something else, that might be an even bigger flaw: many of the student's faces are drawn identical, with the hair being the only distinctive feature.

What is this, U-Jin brand? In the first volume of Negima, in all it's black-and-white glory, we could see the face differences in facial characteristics clearly, even without the hair. Hopefully, the differences in body structure will bring out more variety in the class roster.

I also liked the way Takahata-sensei is being drawn. Even though the hair color is not the blond I was imagining it to be, it kind of gives of a funky Seta-like quality.

From the look of things, the series is going to have tons of fan-service and it's going to be 13 episodes long in its first season, covering volumes 1-3 from the manga. As I've said before, 13 eps are just the right number to have a decent pacing for Negima, so I am very hyped up about the upcoming series.

OK, bring on your posts!

Last edited by lensman; 2004-12-28 at 08:59.
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote