View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 22:41   Link #877
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@maximilianjenus - Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
You're right. I'm just saying I'm not personally convinced because how the actual ending was earned in the narrative seems way too goddamn easy. It basically boils down to "Man, if Homura just told the truth everyone would've believed her", basically.
Well, in fairness to Homura, that's what she tried in Timeline 3, and it didn't work. So it makes some sense that Homura would try a different approach in Timeline 5.

However, just because this approach failed in Timeline 3 doesn't mean every attempt at it would have failed.

Quote:
In fairness, here, Madoka was still freshly shell-shocked about seeing someone die right in front of her, and then other things started happening. It's not entirely comparable to when she wished for power to defeat Walpurgis.
True, but my point is that I think there's a limit to what Madoka is willing to endanger herself for and/or sacrifice herself for.

Madoka wouldn't do it for Mami... but she would do it for Sayaka, as you correctly pointed out. I think these two instances do a good job of demonstrating exactly where "the line" is for Madoka.

What I take from this: Madoka isn't likely to throw her life away for somebody she barely knows, even if her initial impression of that person is very positive (this summing up Mami well).

But there are, I think, a handful of specific people that Madoka would sacrifice herself for. Her parents, her brother, Sayaka, and maybe Hitomi. Basically, her immediate family and her two best friends. Aside from that, sheer numbers will motivate Madoka (i.e. her entire city being in danger, or vast unknown numbers of Puella Magi needing help).

So yeah, I'll say that Madoka never contracting as a Puella Magi probably depends on her family, her two closest friends, and her city, never being grievously endangered beyond what other Puella Magi can help. So yes, Madoka needs to get pretty lucky here, I won't deny that.

But it's possible, so I say let the Homura fans enjoy the Homura ending.