View Single Post
Old 2012-06-11, 21:20   Link #29124
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
Well as far as audiance reaction goes you seem to be underestimating fandom quite a bit. Do you really think fans would abandon Ryukishi so easily just because of one screw up? Of course not. They may get mad for a while but as soon as Ryukishi releases another series they'd be first in line to buy it. THAT is fandom! Honestly I think dangling the answer right in front of people is more of a reason for people to be pissed off at them. I mean lets face it every author has their screw ups at some point but that's not gonna keep people from following everything they create, but dangling a steak in the faces of hungry lions? You best be sure you don't end up in the same cage with them.

Personally I'd rather be all "I MAD!" For a while and then move on to Ryukishi's next work instead of feeling like a crocodile that keeps getting poked with a stick by idiot rednecks.
I agree with you on this point, but I'm not necessarily concerned with the fan's reaction to the author himself as much as their opinion on the story.

Ryukishi worked really hard on this, I think we can all agree. To blow all of his work on one mistake is unfair for him, justifiably, so it'd make sense how he would try to defend the work because if he didn't then he could potentially lose a part of the readers' respect in the story (whether or not this is better than what he's doing now, who knows).

Sure, I would forgive him if he came out and told us he was wrong. It's the commendable thing to do, after all. HOwever, if he did such, I'd feel a little less strongly about Umineko as a story because Ryukishi confessed this. I enjoy Umineko, don't get me wrong, but it's like eating 'the greatest dish ever' and having the Magical Gohda Chef tell you afterwards that he messed up along the way. It detracts from the experience.

I'm not necessarily supporting his decision from a moral standpoint, but I do see why he did it.
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote