View Single Post
Old 2012-06-11, 21:38   Link #29125
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
I agree with you on this point, but I'm not necessarily concerned with the fan's reaction to the author himself as much as their opinion on the story.

Ryukishi worked really hard on this, I think we can all agree. To blow all of his work on one mistake is unfair for him, justifiably, so it'd make sense how he would try to defend the work because if he didn't then he could potentially lose a part of the readers' respect in the story (whether or not this is better than what he's doing now, who knows).

Sure, I would forgive him if he came out and told us he was wrong. It's the commendable thing to do, after all. HOwever, if he did such, I'd feel a little less strongly about Umineko as a story because Ryukishi confessed this. I enjoy Umineko, don't get me wrong, but it's like eating 'the greatest dish ever' and having the Magical Gohda Chef tell you afterwards that he messed up along the way. It detracts from the experience.

I'm not necessarily supporting his decision from a moral standpoint, but I do see why he did it.
I can understand your point, but it feels to me like my enjoyment of Umineko was far less than my enjoyment for Higurashi. I mean sure its debatable now if Ryukishi is screwing that up now too, but Higurashi is still my favorite series because it had great characters and it told a great story that in the end made me feel satisfied. I feel like Umineko took away a lot of that satisfaction for me when episode 3 came around and then suddenly the meta world and magical battles took over the entire series. It's like I thought this was a magic vs trick series and suddenly even Battler turns into a hypocrite of a character as he turns more to the magical side of things.

Heck you might as well say that once Bern and Lambda came into play that there really is no debate. Magic won because we all know that Bern and Lambda aren't pieces that only exist in Umineko. Actually the presence of Bern and Lambda pretty much confirm that magic and witches exist. Thus negating the whole trick side of the debate. Since after all anybody who's seen or read Higurashi is not going to say that Bern and Lambda DON'T exist. You get me?

As for the mystery part. I feel like Ryukishi probably only wanted us to solve the locked rooms. In interviews it seems they fixate on that whenever the whole mystery thing is brought up. So in a way they did keep it as they marketed it, but that still doesn't make it a mystery series. To me the more I think about it the more it seems like a love story with puzzles. Sounds like a job for Professor Layton really.
Aethos is offline   Reply With Quote