View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 13:44   Link #292
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This is an OVA series, so there is no time for a training arc after being defeated. They will either succeed their missions or die.
That's true, but I would think that the OVA structure does allow for some flexibility, at least until the last two episodes.

For example:

OVA 1: Urban battle, character introduction and team organization, first phase of the rescue mission (cliffhanger included)
OVA 2: Cliffhanger resolution (apparent success), character interactions, confrontation with the enemy and new objectives
OVA 3: Second phase of the rescue mission, character interactions and drama, first round of important deaths (cliffhanger included)
OVA 4: Cliffhanger resolution (desperate situation), second round of important deaths, final battle and overall conclusion

This is only a rough sketch, of course, and I wouldn't be surprised if things turned out differently. But, like Bonzo said, getting rid of most of the characters is an obvious way to wrap everything up and keep this OVA self-contained, without having to ask what happened to the cast during the events of R2 and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
The producers once said that the original setup for Code Geass R2 was to have little to no deaths at all.
Sorry to intrude, but I don't believe this specific statement was ever made at all. It sounds like just a lot of wishful thinking, if you ask me.

Other than that, the rest is also more or less debatable. R2 did have a few more moments of romantic tension/drama compared to the first season, not just with respect to Kallen but also Shirley and C.C., even if it would be certainly questionable to consider any of these relationships as fully developed.

I will admit there were some early parallels, for better or for worse, but in my opinion this does not mean "R2 is identical to R1" in any meaningful sense.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote