View Single Post
Old 2007-08-26, 23:32   Link #140
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I can totally see the first two happening. The later ones are true for everything so no need to comment on them.

EDIT: Indeed they probably went into Little Busters expecting something a lot like Kanon, Air, or Clannad. My current volume of knowledge suggests Little Busters is very different from the two previous games.

It can be hard for one to get into a game like Little Busters without feeling the immediate urge to compare it to previous Key games. Especially since fans have come to associate Key with the "Cute girls that die in tragic, tear-jerking stories," meme. It can be hard to judge Little Busters independently without that bias.

I think I'm fortunate in that aspect in that I haven't actually played the other Key games, only watched their anime versions, and can more readily approach Little Busters with an independent perspective.

In reality, as a slightly unrelated personal perspective, you can approach any piece of art or entertainment with one of two intentions: to see how good it is, or to see what it's about.

Hardcore Key game fans want to maintain an untarnished impression of the company and would most likely play Little Busters with the intent to see whether it lives up to Key's reputation, and when they find something that deviates from their expectations, they may come to feel betrayed by Key. It's a tiny fault, but betrayal is a strong emotion so it can contaminate the rest of their perception of the game.

Little Busters, as far as I've played it so far, is good for its own reasons.

Last edited by Newprimus; 2007-08-26 at 23:43.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote