View Single Post
Old 2011-07-31, 12:26   Link #7
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Post 'Elysium' is actually budgeted at $40 million.

So an article coming out of Vancouver today finally provides some new info on 'Elysium.' As it turns out, Deadline's initial reports of this film being budgeted at $120 million could be wrong. This film will apparently only have a budget of about $40 million (if this article is right), which is only $10 million more than what 'District 9' had.

Here are some key quotes from the article:

http://www.theprovince.com/entertain...833/story.html

"Elysium films in Vancouver until the end of September, on a budget estimated at close to $40 million, with additional filming set for Mexico."

"Clarke is back with Blomkamp for the new film." - Julian Clarke edited 'District 9.'

"Also on Elysium's home team is Vancouver cinematographer Trent Opaloch, who drew raves for his work on District 9, as well as a team of computer artists from Image Engine." - Image Engine did the prawns in 'District 9.'

"Word on the fan sites is that the movie is set in a near future fraught with Anglo- Hispanic racial tensions, and aliens are involved. And as we've seen around town, Damon has his head shaved for his role."

""Vancouver is where I plan on doing most of my stuff, unless the story requires explicitly a very specific location." - Blomkamp stating that he'd like most of his films to be done in Vancouver, kinda similar to what Cronenberg used to do.

I think it's pretty cool that a lot of the people who put 'District 9' together are all back on board, but that's not really surprising. What IS surprising is that the budget is supposedly only $40 million, while Sony paid $120 million for distribution rights. There were MAJOR rumors coming out of Deadline, Collider, Bloody Disgusting, etc, etc. that this movie was going to exceed $100 million in budget, but I guess they might be wrong. It won't bother me if the budget ends up being higher, but seeing how this is apparently an "unabashedly big film"-- it should be interesting to see how Blomkamp pulls this off with yet another modest budget compared to other blockbuster films. All I know is, this guy is the fucking man. He's staying true to his word and hopefully March 2013 gets here real soon, as I'm sure that's the soonest we're going to see a big sci-fi blockbuster made for grown ups.

Last edited by Tetra Vaal; 2011-07-31 at 19:34.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote