View Single Post
Old 2009-01-09, 11:40   Link #35
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Besides the mood and quality of the story, one thing that distinguishes After Story from School Life is the music. It is just so much more solemn and heart warming than the lively and casual music we've been hearing before.

While the concept of the unwilling future father-in-law in letting go of his beloved daughter by setting up a challenge for his prospective son-in-law is cliche, Akio remains GAR and graceful all the way, including coming to terms with accepting this brat as his son-in-law.

Nagisa drunk is so kawaii. Enough said.

It was a joy to see the graduation scene, this time with Kotomi and Yukine, as well as Nishina and her choir club, thus making it even more complete.

Nagisa can count herself lucky with such great friends, willing to take time off just for her "graduation". Especially Kotomi, who flew back from her studies in America just for this. Then again, this took place sometime after the official graduation in March/April, so Kotomi probably took advantage of the long Easter Vacation schools offer there.

(Still, LOL'ed at Tomoya saying "That's too bad" when Sunohara says he might get fired if he just skip work to help out Nagisa. Second LOL goes to Sunohara's unbleached hair, though that was blunted by the fact we've all seen Sunohara unbleached in the Tomoyo special DVD episode. )

It's probably Nagisa's insistence that they get to visit Tomoya's father again so she could meet her father-in-law. While it is slow, Nagisa's effort may eventually pave the way for reconciliation between father and son.

Finally, Nagisa seems to have matured a lot not just mentally, but physically as well into a beautiful woman when she tied her hair back. Let's all say hi to Mrs Okazaki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Baseball in the rain. I hate the sport with a stupid passion, but I can't imagine how difficult it must be to play that in the rain. Above anything, the challenge was really nothing more than a customary proof of determination. I doubt Akio really wouldn't have consented to letting Tomoya and Nagisa get married if he didn't hit the ball.

It's really more a trial of passage, whether or not he even hit the thing. I don't know how much proof Akio needs, but I believe all he wanted was to see just how a serious Tomoya was in asking his blessing to marry her. It was more of the multiple challenges Tomoya requested, as well as all the practice he did even in the rain just to learn how to swing better.

Akio said it best I think: "A child trying to grow up".

No doubt he still sees him as some kid trying to steal his daughter, but he definitely knows just how much growing Tomoya had already done. Baseball was merely a formality, trying to see just how much Tomoya has learned and how much he was determined to be with the woman he loved. He could have opted the child's way out, in the form of backing out, childish excuses and the like, but clearly it didn't cross his mind. He knew it was obviously impossible for him to hit that 105kph fastball with his broken arm, but if it was the only way for him to grant his wish, he'd do it even if it really was impossible.

I think Akio let him hit it, even in the game. Shoulder muscle injuries make ridiculous limits to ones arm capabilities. I'd guess he let him hit it to give him a sense of satisfaction, so that he'd have a chance to state is request for Nagisa's hand in marriage, to which Akio would have said yes to anyway. It's a guy thing lol.
Couldn't have said it better myself. He was purposefully giving a huge handicap for himself in such heavy rain, knowing the ball would be slowed enough in such conditions for Tomoya to hit it.

Speaking of rain, besides adapting a good story, and near-consistent animation (with few, though harmless, flaws). if it is something Kyoto Animation that does as good as those, it is animating water, IMHO. Look at how thick the rain is surrounding the characters. I swore I was just gazing at the constant rain splattering off their heads and shoulders for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
LOL just like everyone else, for me the drinking scene made my day. Especially when Nagisa popped out the 'forbidden question' (I wonder if that thought has always been eating her on the inside), then Akio feeling threated after Sanae said "I'm not teasing him at all, I'm serious" was golden!
EDIT: btw, did this part happen in the game?
Yes, it's all from the game, word for word. Including Akio's quip that Sanae had "huge boobs".

Nagisa reveals her true fears while drunk: She knows her biggest adversary for Tomoya is none other than her mother! And if done properly, Sanae might be even swayed to Tomoya's side, making Akio feel very, very threatened indeed. Father and daughter may have to join forces to prevent an unwanted harem from forming.

Oh, and before I forget: A big Welcome to Dango Mk II.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-01-09 at 12:16.