View Single Post
Old 2012-12-07, 16:43   Link #1010
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I agree with you, creb. For the most part.

I am not really overly competitive, but I do occasionally drop in sPVP in order to test out builds. Sometimes they don't go so well, but in some ways those times are the most helpful to tell me what is bad about a particular spec.

I do enjoy WvW for what it is. That is, the opportunity to participate in large-scale battles of 30+ players you can't really find in very many other MMOs. While I also thought it was weird how players weren't named, I think that it's in some ways more important to know what their server is than their username... you most probably will never see them again anyway. If you saw their name you wouldn't be able to tell at a quick glance which server they were from, therefore it would be hard to tell your teammates "Blackgate attacking garrison," or similar situations.

I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on WvW strategy aside from the basic "whoever has supplies wins" and "don't take supplies from upgrading keeps", but knowing the opponent's character name seems really low on the list of things I need to know. What I do need to know is what server they're from, if they're part of a large guild zerg, and how many of them there are (and if they have a mesmer or not). And in a large zerg which happens more often than not, you would not (nor should you) be able to take the time to read each person's name anyway.

The times that do get up-close and personal are in sPVP and tournaments. And then it DOES matter who you're facing. I haven't done any tourneys yet because I don't belong to a sPVP guild but I would bet that people in the highest skill levels would know each other fairly well; in which case knowing their name is probably ultra important so you know what you're running into.