Thread: Nintendo 3DS
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-04, 22:28   Link #279
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Wait... it was? All I remember about PSP vs DS discussion before both had been released was a bunch of flame wars between fanboys.
Oh, I can't forget this one (as E3 2004 is my most fondest of E3). Aside from the usual photoshop jobs either side made for the enemy's system, I distinctly remember PSP advocates calling up power and specs that would simply blow the DS away. Sure it does, but it didn't blow away the true anticipation amongst a majority of Nintendo faithfuls: the potential of a touchscreen+stylus that can bring about unique games. 7 years later, look at it now

This is the same feeling I get from the 3DS. Will it sell well or will it not? I won't bet on that. Instead, I'm thinking on how Nintendo can enhance gameplay yet again with not only a touchscreen, but the 3rd dimension that can bring depth to games if used properly. Lots of DS users agree, using the stylus is great, but when games restrict players to just the stylus, it didn't go well for some, and if game developers insist on a 3D experience all the way, I think there will be much worse "Imagine Series" market bloat than the DS has

The difference there? The PSP essentially brought very little "new" to the table (basically likened to a suped up GBA 1st gen), but the DS brought a new gaming experience (don't tell me those Palm pilot games were fun ). Today we know the 3DS will bring another new experience, but what do we know of the PSP2? I haven't seen (a real good) pic of it, heck I don't even know what it has, so why bury the market leader (Nintendo) when the other guy has not drummed up any bit of info yet (Sony) ?. The amazing thing here, we have seen what the 3DS looks like, but not the PSP2. So saying the 3DS won't sell well when, well, the other markets' competitor is nowhere to be seen, who do you think will gain from this?

Why, the first one to the market, of course. Regardless if it sells well or not, the fact that we know what it does, then presumebly we have it in our hands, then we anticipate the potential titles in the months ahead, clearly is a decent foothold in the market. Can you think the same way about the PSP2? I can't, I donlt even know if the ghost of a machine has a UMD slot, does it use an M2 card, is it purely onboard storage only? I don't know about you, but I'm not about to bury a real actual device headed to the market in 1 month, in favor of a ghostly apparation that isn't even a girl
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote