Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-20, 02:57   Link #1070
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
QFT there. Regardless of the purpose of the boarding action, getting into slack security/tactical habits is extremely foolish. Particularly with all the grief the crew is giving Marika about the professionalism of her piracy (and yes, she does need to develop her skills, but even so), that sticks out like a sore thumb.
Even supposed professionals can get complacent. Part of why Red Cell was established was to conduct mock terrorist attacks on Navy bases, and a lot of the simulated damage they did was due to complacency - while the unit was running only a few bases seriously attempted to deter them. The highlight of their career was stealing a bomb truck - the kind that carries air-dropped bombs from bunkers to the flightline - and leaving it in a motel parking lot in broad daylight for several days, before using it to "blow up" Air Force One. And the base commander had been warned repeatedly about them.

Quote:
(Honestly, I can't shake the idea that if you gave Jenny and the Yacht Club five years' worth of training and real-world experience, they'd take the Bentenmaru's crew out behind the barn for an old-fashioned whipping in any direct confrontation.)
I honestly think it could go both ways - there's an old saying, "Youth and skill is no match for age and treachery". The Yacht Club are some rather talented girls, but the Bentenmaru's crew has been doing this for a while.

Still, as in all things, you don't need to be lucky all the time - you just need to be lucky once.

Interestingly, it looks like while Bentenmaru and Barbarossa are more or less the same size, Odette II appears to be significantly larger. Makes me wonder what her original armament was... what I find keeps sticking in my mind is mentions in Episode 3 that she's outfitted with a flagship's command and control suite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
That is what I figured.. The captain probably originally had it designed that way to force himself/herself to stay in shape. If you have to vault and navigate while getting to the bridge in a hurry you are going to stay in shape.
While on current naval vessels this isn't practiced, I suppose I could see this happening on a space ship - even with artificial gravity, your muscles aren't working so hard and will atrophy from lack of use. That's why astronauts have to excercise so much when they go up in orbit.

On a standard naval vessel, however, they're probably going to have clear passageways as much as possible.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote