Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-06, 00:36   Link #3424
cedec0

[this post is incomplete, but I am tired and so I am publishing it in its unfinished state]

;--------------------------------

I grew up Geneva where I watched anime on French TV. So because anime/manga's unaturally popular in france ("The French exception"), I was watching Goku beat Freezer back in the early 1990s.

Forget the USA, they're behind Europe and way behind France concerning the popularity of manga, and unlike in Europe, the market has been growing very slowly in the USA (and it's still very much a sub-culture). The Japanese refer to the phenomenon as "The French exception". Aside from Japan itself, France is their biggest market for manga, and about the only one in the West where Korean and Hong-Kong titles also sell. Beside France (with Belgique and Quebec in tow), manga sell extremely well in Asia, then also in Spain and Germany, and Brazil. Only then comes the US market.
French TV execs got a bit overeager and started buying the wrong series, not fully grasping that there was a lot of anime designed for young adults and adults, while the Japanese studios that sold them didn't understand that in Europe, cartoons are for children and they would be shown to children. And so the more violent stuff ended up shown in children slots...

http://www.readandfindout.com/books/...eboard/236834/

I was one of the kids watching the "more violent stuff", and I was completely hooked on animes like Saint Seiya when I was six years old (which is sort of disturbing now that I think about it since Saint Seiya is an extraordinarily bloody anime (decapitations, mutilations, amputations, etc)).

Anyhow, when you have watched as much anime as I have, you really start to hunger for anime/manga that break the mold and do something trully unexpected (or maybe this is due to the trauma of watching the Fist of the North Star when I was five).

For example, if you have never seen the bad guy win, try watching episode 20 of Silent Mobius:

[removed link due to warning]

Watching Ganoza (the villain) bow in victory to viewer at the end of the episode is something you will probably never see again in anime.

Another example would be the anime s-CRY-ed.

Spoiler for why s-CRY-ed is special:

Which brings me back to Saki.

My reaction to the first chapter of Achiga-hen was that Ritz was setting Kiyosumi to lose in the finals, and I have never seen a tournament-style anime where the main characters's team loses in the finals.

[I am tired and am skipping explanation of why Achiga-hen might win the finals. Maybe later.]

Why it would be a good thing for Saki to lose in either the team or individual part of national tournament

Do you think watching Saki/Kiyosumi win the national tournament three times in row would be interesting? Or even twice? Unless Ritz plans to end the manga at the end of this national tournament, Saki needs to lose, in either in the team or individuals. Otherwise, if Saki wins both parts of the nationals, who will be left to challenge her next year? Especially with many monsters like Teru graduating?

Compare Saki to prince of tennis: both are tournament-style animes with ridiculous superpowers. So what happenned after Seishun won the national in prince of tennis? The manga ended. (Is anyone even reading the "New Prince of Tennis" by the way?)

If Saki wins both the team and individuals, then Saki the manga will slowly die from lack of interest, like prince of tennis. While Achiga winning the finals would piss a lot of people off, it would guarrenty another national tournament arc...
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote