View Single Post
Old 2009-06-04, 00:22   Link #1127
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Well, you're clearly not believing me.

Quote:
Point being that I doubt anyone would be like "ewww anime" when they grew up watching that stuff.
I don't know what to say about this, other than simply, you're wrong.
You're thinking logically, but stereotypes are not logical.
And no, they are not going "ewww anime". They are going "ewww you watch anime and you're 30 years old"

Quote:
Anyway my impression was from studying abroad at a Japanese university and the otaku I knew (and everyone else labeled as such) was someone who takes pictures of the galge section at the local software store so he can download it at his leisure. Maybe the standards of being an otaku is higher in Uni...
University is a totally different story.
University is where the line is drawn between child and adult.
It's still comparatively acceptable to have hobbies percieved as childish still. You're a student.

Of course not all anime is made for kids. DUH.
That's not the point. The point is, people see anime as something for kids (and geeks), whether they are right or wrong is totally out of the question.
That's exactly what a STEREOTYPE is. Stereotype is set by what people think about a group of people, not what really represents them.

And let me add, "galge" is one of the most geeky thing to be caught with.
If you're an adult in the working world, and is seen liking galge, you'll be most definitely labeled an otaku by the vast majority. Only thing worse than galge would be eroge.

Seriously, why don't you move to Japan and see it for yourself?
Live there for 10 years or so, and you'll understand what I mean.