View Single Post
Old 2009-10-18, 23:34   Link #48
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Here's a full review of the Acer Aspire 1810TZ (Core 2 Duo SU7300):

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...ire-1810t.aspx

They actually got the name wrong. The 1810T is the European model number for the 1410, which is the SU3500 model (has a smaller battery, too). As you can see, a very favorable review.

Though personally I'd go with the Asus UL20A if you're going to go with a SU7300. It's much nicer in terms of aesthetics and build quality (aluminum and plastic construction) and costs actually $10 less from Amazon.

Still, it's important to remember that processor only means so much when it comes to games. The CULV processors may be more potent than an Atom, but with the bad Intel IGPs the CULV notebooks will probably play games worse than an ION netbook.

Plus, I doubt the Intel GMA 4500MHD can handle hardware decoding of h.264 via DXVA, so if the processor itself can't handle it, you don't have the same hardware decoding options as you would on an ION.

The reason I'm looking so hard at the Asus UL80VT is because it does have both the SU7300 and a discrete nVidia graphics chip (incidentally, a better one than ION). Of course, the UL80VT isn't a netbook or even an ultraportable with its 14.1" display. Basically, the UL80VT is all that and a bag of chips (for $850). The size isn't really an issue, since it still weighs less than five pounds.

I would personally prefer it if the 12.1" Asus UL20 had the nVidia chipset, but it doesn't and won't in the US, unfortunately, so us dirty Amerikkans are shit out of luck. =|

Edit: It's important to know that while the Atom isn't a particularly fast processor, for what it's designed to do it works quite well. It gets very good battery life and it's inexpensive to produce. It is more robust than people give it credit for and the N270 is highly tolerant of overclocking.

I know lots of people over at eeeuser.com who have pushed their N270 eeePCs up to 2GHz. My older netbook still has the less-efficient (but more powerful per clock) Celeron-M 353. Truthfully, it really does not feel "slow" unless I'm on power-save mode or trying to do something it wasn't really intended to do (like play HD video).

Surfing the net, checking your e-mail and stuff like OpenOffice really don't take that much in the way of computing power. If you have processor-intensive special programs (like video encoding, 3D modeling, CAD, heavy computational stuff) or gaming in mind you should not look at netbooks or ultraportables. That sort of stuff just requires too much power.

But if you want a portable that can go the distance and do some light gaming and multimedia, there's not a lot you can do wrong by picking up an ION netbook.

Once the 11-13" CULV notebooks start getting discrete graphics though I suspect ION netbooks will be a thing of the past. At this point though, I'd personally rather drop $400 on an HP Mini 311 with that GeForce 9400M, than spend the same on a SU2300 CULV with just a little bit more oomph than the Atom, but bad Intel IGP.