View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 23:22   Link #54
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The main successful superhero movie I can name is Superman. A lot of it it the script, but also if you can believe the actor is the hero they are meant to be. Christopher Reeves was Superman. He did it very well. While Clark Kent was usually not seen as quite that bumbling or weak, the contrast was really good from a slightly hunched over Clark to the standing tall Superman. It was far more striking than it was in Louis and Clark, where Louis Lane could seem "cosmically stupid" for not noticing that Clark was Superman (though his mother's line about "well they won't be looking at your face" when designing his costume fits the results).

Batman, since 1989, has been dark and serious for the most part. While from the 60s to 80s, Batman himself was always serious...it was a campy serious. The Gothic 40s look suits the Dark Knight. The thing is, with Batman, it usually doesn't matter who is under the suit. If they can fill it out and play dark and serious it is fine. Because in Batman, unlike Superman, it is the villain that makes the film interesting. Both film Jokers were very good at keeping the audiances attention, be it Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson. Even Mark Hamill's Joker gets a bunch of attention from just the voice work.

A more 1990's era cartoon Batman in live action would need someone in the suit that can do not only a good Batman (the stoic that sometimes has dry humor), but also pull off a decent Bruce Wayne (happier looking rich playboy...and all an act by Batman). That was one thing I liked about Michael Keaton's Batman. He played a good Bruce Wayne. But then Michael Keaton probably could have played just as well as the Joker given his role as Beetlejuice. If he could do that laugh (which I don't recall if he could).

I have no idea who they could get to do Wonder Woman these days. It would be that contrast between serious and hot body that might be difficult. Plus in today's world she'd have a lot of fight scenes rather than lots of running scenes.

Flash? Depends on which version of the Flash. There is the serious Barry Allen version, and there is the less serious Wally West version that are the usual done versions. If you went for JL, without a Flash movie, I'd say go with Wally West as the comic relief. If you want a Flash movie....eh, they'd probably do Barry Allen, because I'm not sure if people would buy a Wally West based movie and take him seriously. I suppose he could remain lighthearted if he was fighting the Trickster or something....

Green Lantern? Sigh....so many versions. They need to find one and get someone thats can play the role. They also need to figure out what role they'd want for the Green Lantern in the JL film. If he is to be serious...pick and serious version. If they want him as comic relief...pick a less serious version. If they want him to be a prick....pick one of those versions.

Aquaman? I'll like that float for a while.

Martian Manhunter usually only has one version, so they don't have many options with him. But he tends to be in the background so that can work to their advantage.

Anyone else? Well that will depend on how the film is structured. Also depends on who they want in the League. Because they could do like the X-men and just change people out for other more popular (or easier to write for) heroes.