View Single Post
Old 2012-02-02, 22:57   Link #78
c^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I don't get it.

Hare can heal anything organic or inorganic.....

So why can't she heal Ayase's legs?

I mean I would jump at that.

And why was Inouri against Shu drawing out her void? They were getting massacred and there were times where she had to force him to pull out her void.
Yeah, this was about the first thought that occurred to me when Hare's void was introduced. People may come up with excuses, but her void is damn near magical--there is no way would it have such inane limitations. Like Inori's resistance to using her void, it just makes no sense. It is just the one in a series of obviously forced plot points which simply don't follow a logical progression.

I've been enjoying the series in spite of its shortcomings so far, but Hare's totally predictable death sequence was the tipping point for me. I really liked her character, and her death just felt like yet another cheap way to force the plot in the desired direction. It isn't her death that I object to, just that the whole episode felt like a stupid charade.

It wasn't Shuu's kindness that killed Hare, it was serial stupidity on the part of multiple collaborators. First, introduce an unlikely dire situation, then have a convenient discovery of their senseless void ranking scheme, then rather than approach Shuu about it, Souta and friends go off on some hair-brained mission to prove something or other. It isn't clear what really, since their voids aren't appropriate to the situation. Finally, Shuu shows up, endangering more people who aren't appropriate for the situation, and have no hope of helping should they encounter trouble. Why even bother?

It doesn't end with Shuu and Souta's irrational stupidity though, even Hare is in on it. With bullets flying every which way, the middle of the road is not the place to be, regardless of what Souta says. They have seen endlaves in action, and should know very well that escape in a car is impossible, and merely presents a clear target for them.

Souta is the perfect example of how very stupid the void ranking system is: he is the lowest ranked, yet a number of them already owe him their lives, and he was crucial to an earlier mission. Shuu and Souta were even talking sense in the beginning of the ep, but by the end, the change in Shuu's character leaves me dreading the next episode. Hopefully this phase won't last long.

Those expecting a version of LeLouche are going to be gravely disappointed. Lulu was not some mindless hard ass void of kindness, if anything, it defined him. Shuu's discarding even the precept of kindness is just going to result in everyone hating him, audience included. Even Gai was kind in his own way, just utterly determined much like Lulu. Everyone except Shuu could see that.

Anyway, how disappointing--it could have been so much better. I love many of the characters when they are actually acting in character and not as mere plot devicers.