Thread: Licensed 5 Centimeters per Second
View Single Post
Old 2007-03-06, 15:48   Link #266
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I don't see any spoilers. Seems like people are speculating based on fairly vague imagery.

Just to underscore the issue for those who aren't following: the music video does not, I repeat, does not reveal the ending. If I were forced to guess, I'd say that the imagery hints heavily towards the happy ending, but I do not want to guess. I'd rather watch the film first.

Additionally, Shinkai is always rather ambiguous. Was the ending of Hoshi no Koe happy or sad? What about Kumou no Mukou? If you just watch Hoshi no Koe, you might get the idea that all is bad since Mikako and Noboru are separated. But when you read the the story coda in the DVD booklet, you learn that they actually reunite after years of growing apart.

The same goes for Beyond the clouds, which struck me at first as rather depressive, until I grasped the undertones and the ultimately uplifting message.

So, all I can say is that Shinkai is not the kind of director who gives you simple, straightforward resolutions. In my experience of watching his works, his endings are 70% symbolistic and 30% open, depending of the viewers' point of reference and ideas about how it should turn out.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote