View Single Post
Old 2008-12-31, 22:57   Link #60
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Worst comparison EVAR?

SEED probably never actually spent more than a single episode's worth of time developing the spiritual bonding between Lacus/Kira, whereas the *entire show* of ToraDora does that for Ryuji and Taiga. The poor coupling of Lacus/Kira is not because of the lack of physical contact but due to poor writing which skipped on every aspect of relationship development itself, both physically and mentally. ToraDora doesn't have this problem on their mental bonding, not a single bit.

Again like I said, look at the Clannad Tomoya/Nagisa pairing, that is much closer to what Ryuji and Taiga has and very little people questions Tomoya and Nagisa's feelings for each other. In fact the complains people have with Tomoya/Nagisa is exactly the same here with Ryuji/Taiga. They complained that Tomoya/Nagisa hasn't even kissed yet and they're getting married - the same reasoning for Ryuji/Taiga hasn't done anything physical touching to show their affection. Both shows are showing, and had gone to *great* lengths to show the same thing here, the couple's experience and understanding of each other is far more important than showing touching or kissing or such display of affection through physical means - and it's not like they think it is irrelevant (both show still show the occasional blush, holding hands, sharing intimate moments now and there), but clearly the people behind both shows thinks that physically showing affection simply pales in light of the emotional bonding they share. We have mountains of scenes, episodes, literally hours of stories dedicated solely to how they open up to each other and what lengths each other would do for the people they love in Clannad and ToraDora, and if you still think that the Kira/Lacus example is a valid comparison than I really suggest you need to re-watch the shows.

Darknemo is actually missing the point completely IMO and is forcing his own outlook on the relationship onto the story, of which the author had clearly show she doesn't share the same POV with in her writing in ToraDora.
Actually, my point was less of a comparison about the content of the shows, but more along the lines of fan reactions, where the lack of the physical aspect leaves viewers with the perception that something is missing. I agree that romance was not a major part of SEED, but the main gripe of the shippers, who have taken that into account, is the lack of physical closeness. However, I'll concede that Clannad is a better comparison.

Darknemo's argument, I believe, is not about what the author of ToraDora! is going to do, but whether it would be a satisfactory ending. The author may not necessarily include a physical relationship between Ryuuji and Taiga, and this might be off-topic, but I believe it would make a better story if she does so.