View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 03:22   Link #3258
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
If you want to be a Christian, it is proper to believe in a God of love that loves ALL people and you should strive to love all people. If you don't want to believe that or don't want to try for that, stop priding yourself as a Christian, because you aren't a good one.
It's nowhere near so simple and, unfortunately, this thread is not the place to discuss such issues. I strongly suggest that you approach a pastor or Christian cell group, and sit in on one of their sessions, to get a better grasp of the complexities and the dilemmas that many sincere Christians grapple with every day.

And if you're not willing to do even that much, then this position:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I don't know how good of a Christian I am, but I do know this about Christians: You can't be a good Christian if you are a hateful person.
...is pretty much invalid. I could very well argue that you don't even know what you actually hate, let alone presume to lecture Christians on the finer points of being "good" Christians.

And yes, Christians do doubt. Depending on which church they belong to, this is regarded as normal, a necessary part of keeping faith with Jesus and God. It's just very unfortunate that a vocal minority has hijacked the religion's public image, creating a schism that the mass media is only too happy to play up.

I studied Confucius Analects briefly sometime last year. I found it a fruitful exercise. Shallow though the attempt was, it did give me an insight into what the sage had originally advised. It was a far cry from the stultifying orthodoxy that had since become synonymous with Chinese culture.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote