View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 13:58   Link #9260
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

...I really should be working on my office projects.

Edit: Holy shit, page claim! After over 3 years of getting final post on the previous page, this is only my 3rd page claim in recent memory! Guess it was worthwile to stay up late for this XD ^_^

...bugger. I need to get up in 3 hour's time. -_-;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong or mistaken, but what death? Both Nanoha and Fate had their cores removed (partially) and survived with nothing more than a few days off, plus their cores regenerated so they can use magic agan just fine.
A's implies that it wasn't a few days, and given how bed-ridden and weak both of them were, I think the point being made is that death is a risk with the absorption of a full linker core.

Let's put it this way: more people die from the normal flu in one month than during the entire run of Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome. Adults can die of chicken pox.

Chiming in here, there are a couple of points to note with regards to linker core transplants and such:

1) Partial Transplant, as what is seen in A's, appears to merely take the power from the mage, which can then be placed into a storage medium. So if you've got a lot of clones you can do partial transplants from them, harvesting linker cores on a schedule, not unlike cutting down trees and replanting the forest for later use.

Of course, this is ethically problematic - as a normal person I don't favor this approach, but it works well for villians.

2) I believe it's been mentioned somewhere that Teana's bike ran on some handwavium-combustion catalyst engine that used water. Assuming this is the case, this means that logistics for vehicles are simplified in the Nanoverse - fill with water.

In fact, to a certain extent, this simplifies logistics for a deployed force of mages - they just need water for drinking, sanitation and to run the vehicles, and food to keep going, compared to a conventional earth military force, which needs water, food, fuel, and varying types of ammunition for the various weapon systems employed.

3) Regards cartridges, given the way they function I've always felt they were analogous to nitrous oxide systems in cars (aka NOS). NOS gives a temporary boost in speed and power, but you can't just plug NOS into a untuned car and expect it to work: you need to have frame strengthening, balancing, improved suspension & brakes, and a whole host of other work to get the car ready to use NOS, which significantly adds to the cost.

4) Thus, assume that your plain vanilla magic stave costs USD 1000. Adding the nescessary parts to accept cartridges - frame strengthening, cartridge system itself, cooling system, etc - will then add to the cost of the stave. This is not an attractive proposition for any purchasing department anywhere, who have to balance between getting something good and getting something affordable.

Let's face it, this is true of everything. There is only so much budget to go around, and people everywhere will need to squeeze as much of the budget as possible, ie "Do as much as possible with nothing."

This has been my personal experience after working at the Domino's Malaysia Customer Service Centre (the only one of it's kind in the world! Fancy that!) for 2 years and 8 months.

As an article by a noted US military officer on weapons noted, it does no good to have the most advanced weapon ever if only one person can use it and only one person can have it due to costs - it's better to equip everyone with a weapon that is good enough for the purposes.

5) While it's mundane and not so glamorous, yes, training does work. Take the F-5E Tiger II and A-4 Skyhawk. Cold war era fighters, inferior in performance to modern fighters. Yet until the airframes were finally retired due to age, Navy Aggressor squadrons and Top Gun routinely schooled F-14 and F/A-18 pilots who were expecting an easy fight. This is the difference training makes.

On the ground forces level, we have the Blackhorse from the National Training Centre in the US. Using equipment simulating Russian equipment, OPFOR routinely defeated US units training against it, and then explained what the weaknesses where and how to fix them.

Compare a squad of rifleman in a third world military. They can more or less march, do manual labor, fire a rifle, throw grenades. They can fire their individual weapon pretty well, clean and strip them and put them together. those trained on machine guns could fire those machine guns, clean and strip and clear basic jams. They can slap a compress on somebody who had been shot.

Compare a squad of riflemen in a Stryker Battalion. They can: fire their individual weapons, clean, strip, detail clean and in many cases do minor repairs. They can do the same on a pistol, squad automatic weapon (SAW), a medium machine gun or a heavy, regardless if that wasn't their primary job. The Javelin gunners could do the same; most troops can also work a Javelin as well as the dedicated gunners. They can do close quarters battle, movement to contact on foot or in vehicle, set up an ambush, react to an ambush, perform battlefield first responder actions up to and including inserting an IV and in many cases stitching a minor wound. They can lay in claymores and in many cases more advanced demolitions. They can call for fire from the mortars. They can land navigate using GPS and/or map. They could perform fire and maneuver. They are trained in night movement either in march or combat. They can all work a radio. They can all drive a Stryker.

This is the difference training makes. And these are grunts, not Special Forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Think I made a mistake in my writings, I have a defense attorney and her adopted daughter.

Is it reasonable/worthwhile/able to justify a scenario where she defends her daughter in TSAB Tribunal court?
It's possible, but usually the legal profession does not encourage family members to defend their relatives in court, due to the family relationship causing counsel to be unable to maintain proper separation from the case at hand: counsel is supposed to approach the case dispassionately, without personal feelings being drawn into the mix - this is not the case if counsel is defending a family member.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote