View Single Post
Old 2011-05-01, 23:22   Link #5
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I intend to do a lengthier review later, but I do want to share a few general thoughts right now.

I find that Madoka Magica is an anime that I like more and more the farther we move away from its conclusion, and the more I think about it in a 'big picture' sense. I still couldn't give it a 10/10 since its faults, collectively, made me feel like I had to take a point off, but I do think this anime will age like fine wine.

One thing Gen, SHAFT, and Shinbo truly get, I think, is just how important the beginning and ending of an anime show is when it comes to lasting impressions. And when I think about Madoka Magica, my feeling is that the first three episodes were very strong when taken as its own distinct section of the anime (I'd call it the "Mami Section" myself), and the last three episodes were sensationally strong.

It's ironically the six episodes right in the middle (Episodes 4 through 9) that is where I find almost all of the flaws for this anime. I say "ironically" since this is the part of the anime that Sayaka dominated, and I liked her character a lot, possibly my favorite of the entire cast even now (and it's an excellent cast).

But then, in the world of anime, it's the beginning and the end that stand out the most, and so I think Gen and SHAFT played the anime world perfectly in having a "Wham!" Episode 3 (remembering the 3 episode rule that many anime fans go by), and a "Wham!" Episode 10 setting up a truly epic conclusion.

A big part of the reason why this anime is one that I like more and more as time goes by is that it has such a splendidly satisfying ending. Where a lot of the more action-oriented anime shows I've watched have disappointed me is in having somewhat underwhelming concluding episodes given what came before. Madoka Magica avoids that pitfall, and hence provides concluding episodes that leave a great and lasting after-taste.

I vaguely recall another poster saying that Madoka Magica's end is the Gainax Ending done right, and I strongly agree with that.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-01 at 23:33.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote