View Single Post
Old 2009-10-06, 18:36   Link #13
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Animation/VA/Soundtrack - Nothing bad, nothing mindblowing, not really anything to say about it except that it was good.

As far as story/scripting goes, I'm just kind of at a loss regarding certain decisions, like making Faldio a main character. Why do that? He's not interesting, and the way certain scenes played out with him being portrayed as perfect almost made it seem like they did it just to spite Welkin. And the fact that nobody was mad at him and he got off scott-free after a couple highly questionable actions made it even worse.

There's also the issue that the squad members were almost entirely irrelevant. Barely any lines or role in the plot at all. If I hadn't played the game I wouldn't even know any of their names aside from Susie who kind of played a role in the first episode.

I've criticized the love triangle as stupid in the past, but looking back it wouldn't feel entirely out of place to me if I hadn't played the game. I'd say I have no opinion either way about it, if not for Faldio being a terrible character.

Aside from that though it would be a pretty decent standalone series with a good amount of drama, action, and suspense. Unfortunately as an adaptation it fails really hard. I can understand and even support the including of things that weren't in the original work, expanding upon others, and skipping some moments that are relatively unimportant, but outright changing a large number of major plot points is going too far. At times, especially scenes featuring Faldio, it almost felt like more of a parody or a Take That than an adaptation. "Hey, remember that awesome thing that you did in the game as Welkin? Nah, Faldio did that."

That said, I was still relatively entertained by every episode, production values were pretty good, and, as previously mentioned, a lot of it was decent as an anime series despite being an extremely poor adaptation of a game, so I'm rating it a 6/10 overall.