View Single Post
Old 2006-07-23, 02:55   Link #75
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Well, cry me a river if you feel hurt.
I didn't say I felt hurt, rather I thought it a bit rude. I mean I could see if I had directed the comments at you.... meh, doesn't really matter much...

Quote:
You're right about unsustainability, it's just that you weren't anywhere nearly as clear in your previous post which would not have informed Shredder of SuzuHaru's unique status apart from the other anime. I think AMG actually sustained a fairly high number of downloads for quite some time; with many episodes from the first season roaming around 120k. However, it's now probably dropped to lower than 40k..
I was on my way out the door when I typed that. I thought it got the meaning across, but since I knew what I was trying to say, my judgement isn't really that accurate. I apologize for any ambiguity.

I don't remember how many downloads AMG got, and I can't seem to find any statistics for it either, nor for the second season. However, if one discounts the losses to irregular fansubbing for season 2, I'm sure it followed a similiar trend, "bleeding" fans as the series progressed. Apart from series like Naruto and Bleach, which gain more viewers than they lose due to mainstream appeal, most anime series seem to follow that pattern.

Of course, it's harder to tell with series released by multiple groups. For those it might just be a case of a lot of people downloading the same episode from each group to decide which to follow.

Quote:
We have to be careful about generalizing the target audience factor to other anime in your notion of unsustainability, though. AMG S2 and more notably recently, School Rumble S2's BT downloads have dropped probably in part because of their inconsistent subbing schedule. People just drop it and leave because of that.. SuzuHaru had a really consistent subbing schedule so this couldn't have been the case. In any case, while it is likely that the viewership target of SuzuHaru played a part in its BT downloads dip, I think the fact that it was a steady decline in BT download figures that hints that there's abit more to the story.

It just really says that it's losing more and more of its audience as it runs (eventually stabilizing at 40,000+/-).. whereas you'd think that if it were just the otaku/mainstream factor, the dip would have been rather immediate and the stabilization occur more quickly than not.
But a big chunk of the dip was immediate, and it wasn't really a steady decline. Most of the audience SuzuHaru lost were so after episodes 1(~20k), 4(~10k), and 5(~14k). It's not so much that each episode bled a lot of viewers, as a few episodes caused a lot of people to drop it. If the decline had been more evenly distributed, I'd agree with you, but most of it came after just 3 of them.