View Single Post
Old 2012-04-18, 21:44   Link #16
Echoes

A whole bunch of shows this season. I'll just quickly go though my impressions here. Subject to change, obviously.

The stuff I dropped.

Accel World.

Whether it's the somewhat trite plot and setting or the fact that the main character is annoying and looks like Cartman, I just can't get into this one. Won't be following it, which is a shame, because visually speaking it's sparkling.

Kuroko no Basket

Oh. This is about basketball. Not a basket. Not my thing.

Things that look good so far.

Acchi Kochi.

Cute artstyle and wonderfully simple. Pure and unbridled moe. This show knows what it is, and embraces it. Nice flow. I find the side-cast to be a mixed bag, but other than that, enjoyable show.

Saki: Achiga-hen

Looks just as good as the first season, but has an entirely new cast. The new cast is decent, but do pale a bit in comparison to the first season's. Still, this is shaping up to be some fun, super-powered mahjong. Good... not great just yet, but this one's just getting started.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

This will get some points for originality, if nothing else. Showing the club-room scene first with the ghost invisible, and then later in plain view was a neat idea. They are dipping their feet in a lot of different genres, with both mystery, comedy, a little bit of drama, and even some sexuality. They might be over-reaching, the first two episodes had their ups and downs, but color me intrigued. This one could have a lot of latent potential, and at any rate, it looks really good.

Uchuu Kyoudai

Adult characters, a serious subject matter, realistic art-style, solid music and consistent narrative structure. This isn't exactly my kind of show (it's a little too goofy for me), but it's very well executed, and that alone is enough to keep me watching. It might just go somewhere real interesting as well, if we're lucky.

Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan

Beautiful, idyllic setting, and a soothing atmosphere. The character designs are to die for, being absolutely gorgeous and cute in every regard. Probably the most attractive girls of the season. There seems to be a plot brewing as well, so perhaps we're in for more than just lighthearted fun and moe. Either way, I liked what I saw, and I'm expecting a lot of enjoyment from this one.

Sengoku Collection

The most underrated show of the season in my mind. The first episode was a joy from start to finish, with charming visuals and genuinely funny humor. It appears to be an anthology, so it is hard to predict if the quality is going to remain consistent, especially considering the second episode was so different from the first. (Albeit still very enjoyable.) This could be the dark horse, or it could peter out, but I'm very enthusiastic about Sengoku Collection. Please give it a chance if you missed it.

Sankarea

Oh, hey. It's Re-Animator! First off, this series has marvelous visuals. The angles, focus on the little things and beautiful character designs are a real treat. One of the best-looking shows of the season. The story is deliciously dark, with a grim sense of humor. I'm curious to see where they take this, as the premise is interesting to say the least. Ranko is easily the sexiest girl of the season too. Just my type of woman. The main character isn't terribly interesting yet, but at least he's doing something daring, and frankly, insane.

Upotte!

Not much to say about this one, except that it's lighthearted moe fun. Not going to make any "best of" lists, but solid entertainment. Easy to sit through, with restrained fanservice.

The best of the best.

Sakamichi no Apollon

Great characters, wonderful animation and a fantastic eye for detail overall. A dream-team working behind the scenes and an original and genuine atmosphere. A strong contender for best show of the season, just lovely so far.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Of the Dead

Back with a vengeance, even funnier than the first season. Haruna is one of the funniest characters I know of, and this show has the best post-ending segments ever.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Almost as funny as Zombie, this sleeper hit is a high-energy trip into the realms of madness. Nyaruko is an incredible character, whose voice actress alone makes this show worthwhile. Surprisingly beautiful character designs too, especially Cthuko.

WTF collective.

Tsuritama

Absurdity from beginning to end. Sweating up pools, sisters in fishing bowls. I can't wait to see where this is going.

Nazo no Kanojo X

Drool sharing and scissors concealed in panties. It actually has a nice mysterious atmosphere going, and an old-school aesthetic. Don't know about its longevity, but it's certainly a curiosity.

Queen's Blade: Rebellion

How did this end up here? I... don't watch... Queen's Blade...

Ahem. It's actually off to a surprisingly good start... I guess it's come a long way since explosive, acidic breasts. Or not. Anyhow, it's pretty sexy.

Last edited by Echoes; 2012-04-18 at 21:57.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote