View Single Post
Old 2013-03-31, 11:47   Link #257
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, I do recall reading that Gipsy Danger was supposed to be an "old" Jaeger, so it is not improbable that not all of its previous interceptions were successful, having been completed by either joint air forces (the first kaiju to appear on Earth were probably killed by volleys of Tomahawks, JDAMs, MOABs and/or MOPs, until the fielding of the Jaeger) instead. It's probably not THAT efficient in long- or short-range engagements either and was probably used to stall the adversary long enough for either artillery/air squadrons/other Jaegers to double-tag it. One more possibility to throw in is that GD was more used as a technology testbed for future Jaeger instead of a real frontline unit.

Also, there's the fact that, reportedly, Jaegers could only be piloted by TWO pilots who boast excellent chemistry/synchronicity (husband and wife, twins/siblings, etc). So if the first pilots of the Gipsy Danger weren't really in tune with each other, the mismatch could've severely impacted the way GD was used in its first battles, and by consequence, its combat record. To make matters even more complicated, premilinary movie summaries indicate
Spoiler:
If Striker Eureka and Crimson Typhoon, on top of benefiting from more sophisticated technology, are manned by "perfect" teams, this could explain their higher kill count.

As for the newer units, well, Striker Eureka boasts BOTH long- (chest missiles or should I say, "breast missiles"? *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*shameless anime reference*) and short-range (forearm-mounted blades) weaponry, so its firepower is probably loads greater than that of the old guard. It's also supposed to be the fastest one ever built, so it could, in turn, very well have greater survivability and better aptitude for first-strike kills.

Additionally, Coyote Tango and Cherno Alpha seem like long-range/standoff Jaegers to me, whereas Striker Eureka and Crimson Typhon have an "up close and personal" feel...so, the former two are probably tasked with slowing down incoming kaiju with sustained fire/strikes, while the latter two are tasked with delivering the coup de grāce with close-combat weaponry (spinning claw, arm blades).