View Single Post
Old 2008-08-24, 09:39   Link #243
Asashio123
The Human in the Big Red
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
Eh, I was under the impression that what you said was more or less the case, although I'm not sure about the 'true' or 'false' aspect of it. Also, with VNs, I guess there's more than one option influencing the story (more than Higurashi, I think? I've never played a VN, but I was under the impression you get to change the situation more/provide more input to the situation than Higurashi?).

Spoiler for kind of long speculation on Schrodinger's cat:

... But I could just be getting confused. ._.; Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... In any case, what you said sounds right to me.

I'm glad I'll never have to study quantum physics: if I can't even get my head around Schrodinger's cat, I wonder what I'd make of the rest of it (not to mention all the formulae)...

Ah, and of course: Schrodinger's cat was mentioned in the poem by Bernkastel for Minagoroshi-hen:
Higurashi is almost like us watching Rika play a live VN. We don't actually get direct input on the situation, but Rika does.

Otherwise, I was thinking more along the lines that Schrodinger's cat applies only to, say, the time before the Higurashi reboot (so that Rika has not made any moves on the playing field yet), but after Rika makes her first move, Schrodinger's cat does not apply any more, as her actions would have influenced (yes, that word) the outcome in some way, thus making one "END" (as I call it, eheheh) more likely than the others.

Similarly, during the time the box containing the cat is closed, Schrodinger's cat would apply, but if you took the box and threw it into a deadly wildfire, Schrodinger's cat would not apply, as it is far more likely that the cat is dead, than that it is alive.

So, I guess we're thinking the the same thing, although it seems that I'm thinking more about influencing a path before you try to confirm the outcome, while you're thinking about influencing a path by trying to confirm the outcome. Right?

...So... now to apply this to Umineko. Gaaaah~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
The problem with Schrödinger’s cat is that though both possibilities are possible theoretically, only the second (death) is possible logically.

The cat will die eventually.

The cat will die one way or another.

So one may assume;

You can only save the cat by opening the box.

This is confusing. It seems I can't understand anything unless it's put into a VN-perspective.

Last edited by Asashio123; 2008-08-24 at 15:04.