View Single Post
Old 2004-01-19, 16:41   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Gee, don't apologize for liking magical girl anime! If you like it, it's all good. You don't have to defend yourself for doing what you like to do.

Card Captor Sakura is an amazing series. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I think it's the very best of the magical girls shows, but I like a lot of other titles too.

Another recent title available in AnimeSuki:
Mermaid Melodi Pitchi Pitchi Pitch
The Sailor Moon live action revival is also available. It's not really similar to any anime.

older (torrents available) titles include
Magical Fairy Persia
Magical Angel Creamy Mami
Mary Bell
Miracle Girls

Some shows are aimed mainly at young girls and based on manga from young girls' titles. The early ones were usually like that. Later series shoot for more of a crossover audience or are definitely shounen anime (Pretty Girl Magical Sami fits the latter).

The target audience is important to know in that a series will tend to contain fanservice and comedy to a greater degree when it is a crossover or shounen-oriented series, whereas the girl's titles tend to develop the characters more extensively.

There are also licensed works and some older titles that used to be available on fansubbed tapes. This guide (http://www.mahoushoujo.net/) will provide plenty of information about older series.

One fairly recent show I am going to mention here as a big favorite of mine is Akihabara Dennou Gumi (Cyber Team in Akihabara)(1999). It's definitely a crossover title, with lots of odd humor and a bit of fanservice. Some decent SF figures into the plot. It finally got licensed last year and I hope it gets a good reception.

If you can't get seeds for certain older torrents you can request that they be reseeded in the forum under "resharing requests."

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-31 at 00:10.