View Single Post
Old 2016-05-27, 07:57   Link #491
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One thing nobody can take away from Okada is that she does great interviews. Extremely candid and detailed and often poetic in how she frames things.
That is something I've noticed, actually. After reading and listening to a few different creators, I’ve started to see differences in how they talk about their work. They use different words and phrases, different analogies etc, and that gives the reader a glimpse into their personality (well, through the person who wrote the interview out, and I don’t know how much editing he/she has done). To me, Okada talks about herself and her work in a really colourful way, so much so that I can see why other creators value her skills as a screenwriter.

That said, I can't say that everything in my translations is 'from her', so-to-speak. There are a few translators who’ve said something along the lines of ‘when you read a translation, 95% of the time, you’re reading me’. Whilst the percentage probably isn’t as high, that applies to creator interviews too. I do try to capture the impression they give me in a way that makes sense in English, but that does involve changing/adapting some of what they say. And I can’t definitely say that I’ve always interpreted a particular personality accurately…

Quote:
In the case of Mayoiga, this interview definitely makes it sound like the Director is tightly and very thoroughly controlling the show. So Mayoiga's Director should probably get the lion's share of the credit/blame for how well/poorly this show does.
Mizushima is definitely the one holding the reins here, yes, though I do wonder how it’s turning out. I’ve actually dropped Mayoiga, but there are a few things I’ve read/seen that make me wonder if I should pick it up again, to see how it all plays out…

Quote:
What Okada had to say about Kawamori was probably the most interesting section of Part 2 of this interview. I wasn't entirely happy with Aquarion EVOL, but it was a very fun ride with lots of charm and vibrancy. And I'm thoroughly enjoying Macross Delta right now. Kawamori really does seem to be a creative genius, at least in some ways.
That one section was actually the reason I ended up translating the second half as well. In fact, the Bandai Creator’s interview that came out two days ago is actually Delta’s director, Yasuda Kenji, and he has a similar read on Kawamori.

Admittedly, I’ve been brushing up on Macross by reading interviews and listening to all of Macrossworld’s SpeakerPodcast, so it didn’t surprise me at all. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
About Kiznaiver and Mayoiga my personal impression matched more or less with what I read. Sure Mayoiga seems to suffer of an overload of info to be handled in such a short time on a very large cast of characters. and it's reflecting on the show I think. Sure I generally didn't feel Okada hand here either. And apparently it's true. Instead I see hers in Kiznaiver, that I'm enjoying quite a bit so far, and coincidentally she is writing all the scripts.
(And @Triple_R as well) I’m also not entire sure what people mean when they say “Okada’s hand” or similar things. I’ve tried asking before elsewhere, but no one seems to want to answer, so perhaps I can take this chance to ask again. What do you all associate with Okada? And if it’s something general like “emasculation of male characters,” can you note a few examples from the shows she’s worked on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I hoped to see some bit of info or her thoughts about my favorite shows but I got the impression she tried to stay away form commenting on her major or recent titles.

ps. I guess there's a typo about Angel Tales's year, that is 2001 not 1991.
That’s probably because she’s done many interviews about them, and has had less of a chance to talk about her earlier works because so few current fans know about them. I’m glad she chose to mention Kawamori, though. That’s was a real gem ^^

And thanks for that. That was actually from the original interview (>_>), though I should have noticed since I did link the wikipedia page.

In any case, you're both very welcome. Glad you find it useful.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2016-06-01 at 00:53.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote