View Single Post
Old 2016-05-28, 15:22   Link #492
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
(And @Triple_R as well) I’m also not entire sure what people mean when they say “Okada’s hand” or similar things. I’ve tried asking before elsewhere, but no one seems to want to answer, so perhaps I can take this chance to ask again. What do you all associate with Okada? And if it’s something general like “emasculation of male characters,” can you note a few examples from the shows she’s worked on?
In the end I think is something very subjective and people kinda like to address this or that about her depending on their personal taste or distaste. I also didn't watch all her works and some I've dropped, so yeah. In any case in this same thread I wrote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
My opinion about her writing is that we should separate what she write to what she is asked to write as also what amuses her to write to what she love writing. Not really an easy task. But the fact that she is still so valued should be telling a bit to discern that differences.
Basically I'm under the impression that there's things that amuse her to write and others that she put passion in it. This latter is what I consider her "hand". more specifically I find that she can be extremely sensible depicting subtle character to character dynamics or in giving certain depth to her characters, in rounding them. And it's something that has to do with details than background stories, storyline or the likes. And that's what I feel as being her hand.

While people instead tend to accuse her to be overdramatic and unsubtle. And here's where my divide came from.
She can be overdramatic and unsubtle or vice-versa depends on what she is asked to write. And the former is what amuses her and for this reason she can go overboard easily. And whatever it is true or not I don't find this kind of writing particularly defining.
Instead her ability in being subtle and expanding her characters through details is where I think she is more passionate and where I think I can feel it (her hand).

Of course is just my feeling, strongly related on my tastes. But then I read this piece of your translation the other day that in some ways seems to match with it:
Quote:
He was a director who placed a lot of importance on the space “between the lines.” At that time, I was a writer who always left many things unsaid—stuff “between the lines,” so-to-speak. The points I liked and focused on were not really looked upon favourably by the industry, and I was going through a sense of crisis, wondering if my way of thinking was just wrong. That’s when I met Director Amino, and he helped me realise that it’s okay to place value on that. Of course, it’s not enough by itself.
Her writing between the lines is part of what I feel being her distinctive trait (or where it comes from) while her filling these spaces where she is not exactly passionate with, and apparently is what she had to "learn" to write in opposition to what was natural to her. (I defined it as amused, and it's fun since it also fits with her colorful way of talking).
Basically here she implied a similar distinction of mine. (Of course it could be meaningless, still this surely reinforced this impression I have of her writing no matter what ).

This piece seems to imply another part of my take, the most obvious, when she said her way of writing didn't match with the industry and so she had to adjust to fit. This kinda goes along with the idea of her "being asked to write" this or that more than being, say, some personal quirks she wants to put into her stories.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote