Thread: Licensed Fractale (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-04, 07:19   Link #93
Washi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yamamoto's (rather short-lived) fame is entirely because of what he did for Haruhi.

When KyoAni promoted him to director for Lucky Star, and he showed that he was almost completely incompetent at the job, he left the company and began to produce his own mediocre anime.

I think this says something, but honestly I've never been a huge fan of his.
Yamakan's fame comes from his publicity (ie. doing "controversial" things like saying he'll retire) and his successes as a producer, rather than his talent as a director. He provided direction and storyboard for a few Haruhi episodes, but most of his creative input came from his series producer role. He's also famous for his dance openings/endings too! He choreographed the hare hare yukai dance by himself.

Regardless of what you think of Kannagi, it was competently directed, with no major mishaps and good quality and design choices overall. The impression I get of Yamakan is more that he's an interesting person who has a lot of creative input to offer anime, but isn't perhaps the best director around. But we'll see what happens with Fractale. All I can say is, I'm glad he's no longer with KyoAni and is able to do his own works.