View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 20:00   Link #172
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
It's fine that it is repulsive, but pls consider: was this really needed at this point? Seriously we all hate Sugou enough by now, you don't need anymore scenes with that apart from the scene where the main guy meets the heroine and the villian wants to make the main guy rage.
This isn't about hating Sugou -- what does it have to do with him? It's about understanding the immoral/amoral mentality of the scientists who work for him. If they were just following orders and doing what their boss told him, that'd make Sugou the one true bad guy. But their power-trip with the tentacles shows that they too have let the power get to their heads, and have no qualms treating people like objects for their own selfish enjoyment. That's what the tentacle scene communicates that it not being there would not have. Whether that is important for the story or not down the road... I don't know.

(That aside the difference between what happened with Asuna and what happened with Silica is that the monsters that attacked Silica were AI-controlled, while these monsters were human-controlled. Well that and the context and perceived seriousness of the situation.)

Again, I'm really not trying to defend the scene (it was repulsive and that was intentional), but at the same time I don't think it was completely without purpose either.

(Edit: Personally, I wish the scene wasn't there only because it has provided yet another thing for the fanbase to rage about. I am so tired after 21 weeks of discussing about this anime, even though I find the anime quite fun. But yes, of course I know it's my fault for participating too... )

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-25 at 20:30.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote