View Single Post
Old 2012-10-07, 17:12   Link #111
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Pacing wise, I agree that the first episode is a tad too slow, with some jokes that could have been dropped (like the silly catchphrases), but it is still fine, albeit I can't say it was really engaging due to the flashbacks.
As far as the adaptation went, it delivered what it had to, save could accelerate few points.

What really bothered me however was the animation and the design, really not consistent, which is not a good sign for a first episode. And no, I'm not going to compare it with another studio, I'm going to point out the fact it looks fairly less smooth and detailed than any other "moderate-big budget" show of the same genre and of the same studio (the genre has NOTHING to do with the way how movements are done left and right).

Budget-friendly moves were surely noticeable, such like how minimalistic was the sequence with Rin in the girl dorm (a shame, as the staff went as far as having the exact same SFX and voice "reactions" from the battle, but you just don't see anything).
While the flashbacks were a terrible offender (nearly looking like a clipshow), the general design is quite whacky, as already stated by others people (arms and hands have the short end of a stick), and the animation felt lazy to be frank, especially few simple detail like eye blink (every characters hardly blink at all), or simply the fights: similar to SAO, you don't see the punch/kick in movement, but rather see it already connecting, and a cheap "impact" background.

As for the new seiyuu, well... really, I don't believe Horie was a good choice at all: it is quite evident that she has trouble to keep her voice low outside of the narration, and she sounds as girly as Tomiyasu, or even more.
I think Kugimiya with her Alphonse voice would have worked wonder, but alas, not going to change.
Meanwhile, I can't say Sasami's voice was... clicking the oujou vibes quite well, but that's just me.
And is it me or Komari's seiyuu sounds a little different than before?

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-07 at 17:27.