View Single Post
Old 2008-03-17, 06:09   Link #1003
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Anyway, the big problem with the idea of the barrier jacket doing the job of saving Fate in those scenes, which you and tshoryuu keep forgetting is ever the problem of surviving the deceleration. If you insist that the BJ did it, since BJ barriers/fields/whatever are clearly extremely close to the body (there, ATC, I've said one thing about BJs now), the decelerative forces are extremely high. Even if I grant the ridiculous premise of a KE nullifier (say I somehow dump all the KE into deforming the wall/ground), it will not change the fact that Fate decelerated at an extreme G force. Which is to say that she's going to become a splat anyway as her own body squashes itself.
How it is clear that the fields/barriers are extremely close to the body? As far as I know, all fields have an area of effectiveness. The closer to the center, the more effective it is.

If Fate loses KE, doesn't that mean that the G forces are also reduced as well? Since Fate is the moving object, doesn't losing KE equal losing speed and hence reducing G forces?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Her only chance is 1) increased decelerative time to reduce loadings or 2) an magicobabble inertial dampener. Tshoryuu has already refused 2 as "fantasy" when Tk proposed it. While I won't categorically refuse 2 (we are dealing with magic and it may indeed turn out upon detailed calculation that 1 won't have enough magnitude to save Fate, forcing the need for 2), it isn't my first choice for similar reasons. So, we are both left with 1. For 1 to be valid, it needs a defense far away from the body - active defense. So given that it is not uncategorically refused by the canon ...

But if 1 is valid, then there is no need for the BJ to have somehow saved Fate through the impact, and thus tshoryuu's examples lose their meaning.
Not true since you're assuming fields are extremely close to the body. Its more likely that fields extend beyond the source. Take for example, Anti Magi-link Fields (AMF). From the StrikerS manga chapter 2 pg 11 for example, its shows a defensive field extended beyond the source.

Offhand I do not remember if we do see other fields in action so I can only use AMF as an example.