View Single Post
Old 2009-05-07, 23:56   Link #38
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
Too bad that pairing will never happen
Fear not, young Trueno. One very strong point about Hayate no Gotoku is that it's one of the rare romances that has a genuine element of surprise. Things are usually very cut-and-dry in anime or manga romance (Even in situations where things should be conflicting - the Inuyasha-Kikyo-Kagome love triangle, for example, is a fairly even match where things would be unclear if that scenario occured in real life - they're usually not because you know the hero and heroine will end up together), but with Hayate it seems like everyone has a fighting chance. In any other manga, would Hinagiku be within the leading character's strike zone? In any other series, would Hayate be interested in the maid instead of the heroine? Or what about the Valentines Day episode, where Hayate considers Nishizawa in a romantic way after she gives him chocolates? In most any other series, Hayate would either completely misunderstand her intentions (Which he does at first), or the author would dodge the issue somehow because the leading character simply cannot have interest in a secondary character. Hayate takes a somewhat less... er... romantic stance on romance, I suppose, since there is such a thing as a state of flux, where feelings can change, there's no such thing as destined lovers, and not everyone is adamant about getting the objects of their affections (Out of Hayate's suitors, and basing this on the anime alone, the only one that seems madly in love is, obviously, Nagi, with Hinagiku in a somewhat distant second - Sakuya, Maria, and Isumi seem as though they could take or leave him). It's interesting to have an anime where romantic feelings can be shallow or managable instead of incredibly intense.

... but you're probably right and there won't ever be a HayatexMaria relationship, so I just wrote all that up for nothing. Still, Maria is the only girl that Hayate likes far as I know (Or at least is somewhat attracted to), so I'm sure that we'll at least get some more romantic moments between the two. ^^ I hope so, anyway... while I ship NagixHayate, I do like Hayate's relationship with everyone, so some nice moments and scenes between all the girls would be appreciated.

Anyway, I liked this episode. I've fallen somewhat out of touch with Nagi since I finished the first season in December, but this episode fixed that problem. The kiss at the end was great, of course. I think there's been three "almost" kiss scenes (The scene where Hayate's sleeping in an early episode - I forget which one - plus 38 and 39), so it was nice to see Nagi take initiative without giving Hayate the chance to screw things up. Not that I can blame him, really, I doubt I'd be in any rush to make out with a 13 year old if I was 16.

Good post, Dragoon. Nagi and Wataru make a better pairing than I'd given them credit for. I don't remember Athena being mentioned in the anime, though. Strange that I missed that. And I enjoyed reading Slayer-sama's post and Bill's blog, so, keep it up.