View Single Post
Old 2013-05-22, 08:28   Link #32367
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I see that element as well and I think Ryukishi was mostly trying to make the point that even the most intelligent, moral people at the same time possess a horrible and lust driven side.

The gold is only the central element in this. You could also make a good argument that Kyrie would never actually kill Asumu because it would be stupid. She was obviously the only one to gain from it and she had left the Sumadera clan far enough behind that they would likely not back her if she is accused of a murder that only benefits her. Still the story drives it forward that this element of being beaten by Asumu drove her so out of her mind that she was clearly to a certain degree insane. She wasn't a drooling madwoman incapable of rational thinking, but this part about her was very much mad.

The same for Natsuhi when impulsively shoving the servant through the railing or Rosa when she beats Maria.
Except... Kyrie took almost twelve years to stew over her jealousy (and knew and disliked Asumu for even longer than that) before she actually resolved to do anything. And Natsuhi's action against the servant/baby, if it actually ever happened and if it happened the way she believes it did, ultimately came at the string of an unbelievably long period of despair, distrust, and a seeming inability to do the one thing that she believed would win her some measure of acceptance from her new family. These things simmered for years. Rosa has no excuse for Maria, of course, but the way those two ultimately reacted to their situations makes me think neither of them is likely to act on the sort of impulse suggested by the ep7 TP.

Bear in mind Kyrie considered very carefully all rational outcomes of her actions. She thought about it for a very long time and was aware of what the probable consequences would be if she went through with it. She simply determined, after a very long time thinking it over, that she didn't care. While it's an immoral decision, it isn't an irrational one. She weighed the emotional benefit of murdering a person she blamed for her suffering (whether or not it was Asumu's fault) with the possibility that she'd get caught or punished, and decided "screw it, my emotional well-being matters more than my freedom or the opinions of others, I'mma shank a bitch."

If anything, I point to Kyrie's entire Asumu story as proof her portrayal in ep7 is impossible. Kyrie could make a decision to murder... but it would take her forever to agonize over it, she would have to think everything out very carefully, and she would need an extreme level of emotional investment in the outcome. In other words, Kyrie only operates through premeditation, even when her acts are driven by "irrational" desires. If she was the killer, I'd say she'd almost have to have come already prepared to do it.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote