View Single Post
Old 2006-09-15, 00:32   Link #18
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
In this case, FF7 was released many years ago. Despite those years, it is still hot and fans have been calling for more ever since. To release related products now is not called "milking a cash cow," it is called "bowing to fan pressure." If they were "milking" it as some of you say, then these products would have been released long ago, before FFVII withstood the test of time.
I don't think your analysis is right at all.

Square did not have an attitude of producing direct sequels or related games to existing standing products.. however, things have changed since they became Squeenix and the Enix president took over as Preisdent of Squeenix. Remember, FFX seemed to have been designed as a standalone with an ambiguous ending, but it was the first ever game to have the milking process start on it.

It makes sense that the regime change saw the tit milking come in at full speed. That's why they're only milking FF7 retroactively. Perhaps creating AC the movie would be bowing the fan pressure, but capitalizing on that along with the FFVII handphone game, FFVII: Core Crisis for the PSP, and Dirge of Cerberus? That's not bowing to fan pressure; that's profit maximizing. It's also why Squeenix is considering producing episodic material to squeeze profits, and why FFXIII is going to have so many lines of product that are drawn upon a single shared "myth".

Remember, I'm not accusing SQUARE of milking, but SQUEENIX.

P.S. FFVII was created by Squaresoft. Not Square-Enix.

Edit: I got my facts wrong; the Square president went on to become the Squeenix president. What remains is my thrust that the milking happened only after FFX. And guess what, the Square president Yoichi Wada joined in 2000, the year of FFX's release.

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/e/officer/

Last edited by arias; 2006-09-15 at 03:29.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote