View Single Post
Old 2011-10-21, 21:32   Link #268
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
I never said anything about tragedy being inherently better than a work that is happy. I said that there’s an oversaturation of happy works and that the fact that the original series decided not to take that route doesn’t mean that its inferior, since if anything it makes it more refreshingly original. If you had taken time to argue your point logically rather than to throw out a collection of ad hominem attacks at me, then you would have deciphered that.
I read what you said. Apparently you didn't do the same for me though, since I never addressed any comparison of yours between the merits of a "happy work" and a "sad work", but merely pointed out how pretentiously juvenile your method of assessing an artistic work's value is. And in case you try and claim you never said anything about that as well, I'll highlight the comment in question:

Quote:
the first FMA series earns points just from (...) attempting to inspire some level of emotional catharsis via tragedy.
Now how is that not a claim that "depictions of tragedy contain inherent artistic value regardless of their actual execution"? And even as far as a comparison between the two different types of works goes, you're also clearly implying that attempting to inspire some level of emotional catharsis via hopefulness (i.e. FMA manga/Brotherhood) doesn't earn as many "points" as attempting to do it via tragedy. And what that consequently implies is that the quality of a work should be measured through its tone, rather than its execution. Your tastes perfectly reflect that as well and as such your assessment of the merits of the two different FMA series is accordingly biased from the get-go.

Oh well, not my problem. Don't lemme stop you from revelling in your pseudo-philosophical melodrama and looking down on anything that tries to provoke an emotional resonance through something other than tragedy (and the supposed originality of taking a tragedy-esque direction in a storyline doesn't count for much either when said tragic elements are poorly implemented and sloppily written, not containing much of a purpose other than drama for the sake of drama (i.e. 2003 FMA anime), but that's neither here nor there).

Last edited by Vicious108; 2011-10-21 at 21:44.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote