View Single Post
Old 2013-09-11, 23:39   Link #174
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanreve View Post
Why does everyone say that Homura is just aloof or cold? She's not naturally that way, despite being naturally rational and logical, of course. It's her life that made her so cold and depressed.

Everyone I've talked to who watches this show has hated Sayaka lol I don't know why though. I mean, she's sometimes less nice than the others and frustratingly stubborn, but she doesn't deserve much hate.
It sounds to me like the people who you've talked to about this show have a tendency to make surface level assessments of the characters. If the viewer doesn't dig deeper into why Homura and Sayaka act the way they do, and if the viewer doesn't try to figuratively walk in these characters' shoes, it's easy to fall into the trap of a purely surface level assessment.

At a surface level, Homura is inexplicably aloof and cold.

At a surface level, Sayaka can come across as very impulsive and hot-headed.

Now I'm not saying that the surface level doesn't matter at all - For example, if someone acts like a dick, well, that dickishness is still going to hurt people even if that person has good reason to be that way.

But the surface level isn't all that matters.

When you dig deeper into both Homura and Sayaka, I think you can largely legitimize their actions. Nobody in this show is perfect, of course - Thankfully, there are no Mary Sues to be found here - But I do think that the characters in this show generally have good reasons for doing and saying what they do and say, even if the actual deeds and words themselves may be mistaken or downright wrong.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of Homura's character, so I'll simply link to a defense I wrote of Sayaka once. If you have a chance, and if you don't mind, please show that defense to those who have expressed hatred of Sayaka to you. You never know, it might change their minds. The last few pages of the Sayaka character thread is also loaded with excellent defenses of her by myself and other AS members.