View Single Post
Old 2008-03-31, 10:43   Link #253
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And for what it's worth... I strongly dislike the "wavers" translation. It implies that she was leading him astray, but I don't think that was what they were trying to imply. The word is more like "shakes" or "quakes", and I think that's more akin to one's heart "aching" (think about the times when you've cried, and the feeling in your heart at the time). Saying "when your heart aches" is also a more expected answer to Shinichirou's "when do you cry?" question to his father (while still being important and profound).
I agree with this. I'm not going to go out and say it's right or wrong, because I don't really know, and there's no mention in any of the four dictionaries I've checked. Yet to me, personally, "wavers" feels like the wrong word to use, because in my mind it implies that Shin would hesitate, and not know what to pick.

A Japanese friend explained "kokoro ga furueru" as "when you are moved by strong emotions", which is different. And as you've already said, Shin's words are a repetition of his father's reply to the question "What makes you cry?" When did hesitation make someone cry? I'm more of the mindset that Shin is trying to describe how Noe sets his world on fire, that she makes life more interesting and exciting, but he's still in love with Hiromi, and must go with that.

It's also significant that Shin goes out of his way to tell Hiromi, before leaving to speak to Noe about the book, that he'll have dinner with her, and that she should wait for him. At this point he's already made up his mind, and there is only one girl he wants to spend his life with. People seem confused as to where his emotions are coming from, but if you look at the show as a whole, it was always apparent that he loved her - just consider the drawings of her crying. He cares deeply for this girl and wants to comfort her, despite her (recent) cold attitude.

No one's mentioned the insanely powerful scene with the hot coffee either. From the moment Hiromi invites him over at school, through the way she urges him on in the staircase, and sits down to take his hands along with the cup, and sips the coffee, there's a roaring sexual tension. Then she goes and says "ii yo", which most likely should be interpreted as consent for having sex. She's basically so anxious to keep Shin with her that she'll throw herself at him. Luckily Shin sees through her madness and stops it, resulting in Hiromi feeling ashamed and sending him off, because it's not like her to be so ... nasty. The situation with Shin's mother has changed her, and all of Shin's affection is based on a lifetime of knowing and loving her before she moves into his home.

Er, I'm spending way too much time complaining about other people's thoughts on anime.

PS. "Kokoro ga furueru" is also used in the Zero no Tsukaima novels to explain the power level of Saito's rune. His sword Delf explains that Saito will be strongest when his heart trembles (or whatever), and weaker when he's hesitant and worried. Being in love is implied as making him more powerful.

Edit: I know what the words mean individually, it's the symbolic meaning of the combination that's hard to determine.

Last edited by apr; 2008-03-31 at 12:48.