View Single Post
Old 2014-01-11, 15:17   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I've swapped out the photo in a number of my website/blog/social media destinations. I'll try to get one more chapter out this month for volume three but I really am head-deep in final edits of volume 2.

I'm making some major changes, not to the meta-plot so much as I am
- slicing out the repetitive (that stuff that works in a weekly serial but not in a collected volume),
- removing some of the filler (day to day stuff that doesn't advance the plot or reveal something about characters)
- structurally changing the arrival of Sashiko back into the band.
- just applying writing techniques I've learned doing volume 3 back to volume 2.

Right now, volume 2's material comes in at over 500 pages, far too many pages to meet publisher requirements (and studies show you just won't sell as many copies of a Big Book With Too Many Words in the 21st century). I want Sashiko established in volume 2 but if I end up stopping the novel at the end of the country fair tour she won't appear at all. So I'm moving her arrival subplot to just before the country fair road trip. She won't go on the tour with them but she'll house sit and learn her parts for the gigs after the country fair.

It's an interesting exercise in retelling a story in a slightly different way.