View Single Post
Old 2013-03-05, 12:41   Link #10748
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
I don't get why people are finding it so hard to accept that Erza's second origin doesn't sit right with some fans/readers/whatever.

I have no problem with Erza owning almost every one of her opponents - I stated my reason earlier. But I can see where people who are complaining that this feels like a hax. I mean, why is her second origin an active skill when it was implied (or I thought it was) that it was a passive power boost.

Erza is, for all purposes, as much a lead character in FT as Natsu, if not more. So, things like this powerup are gonna happen. Doesn't mean that it won't seem lame or not look like an ass-pull to some people.
Because it is not exactly passive. Most people don't have access to it, so you can do magic without it. You can choose to fight with some level of your magic that is not 100% already. Do you think someone is asspulling if they don't fight with all their power? Shonen does this a lot (see: DBZ). The answer is obvious: Erza holds back a lot. It's smart; prevents your opponents from knowing how strong you are, thus leading them to underestimate you. See: Minerva.

What had people upset, is that they thought they knew how something worked, and they weren't entirely correct. So it is a hate of being incorrect. Erza fooled you, me, Minerva, everyone. To fool your enemies, you must first fool your friends. We should have known something was different with Erza when she didn't writhe in pain during the unlocking.

Would I have handled it differently? Yes. But we were given Chekov's gun. I suppose you don't have to like these valid storytelling techniques, but there is nothing inherently wrong with them. So you might try to understand why the rest of us aren't blowing a gasket.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote