View Single Post
Old 2014-08-30, 20:56   Link #738
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd argue that the sameness in voice acting reflects the narrowing of content since the recession. Anime has begun to expand its horizons once again, which should mean a broader array of roles and voices.

Who are the up-and-coming successors to Kuwashima Houko or Sawashiro Miyuki, or Sakurai Takahiro or Namikawa Daisuke, actors who have excelled in a wide variety of roles? Kanazawa Hana and Tomatsu Haruka have shown pretty decent range. Yuuki Aoi might be another. I can't think of any men aged 25 or under that have caught my attention.

I thought the Kill la Kill cast was especially talented and surprisingly mature. At 28, Koshimizu Ami was one of the youngest actors. I found it striking that most of the main cast was voiced by people aged forty and older. Thinking over other recent shows with strong casts, I looked at the actors appearing in Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. Most of them are over thirty as well. Psycho-Pass also had an older cast; Kanazawa at 25 was the youngest of the bunch. Are these shows outliers? I thought most seiyuu, particularly actresses, were in their late teens and twenties. I don't generally watch adolescent comedies any more unless they are unusual like the two mentioned above. Are there younger seiyuu there I should be keeping my eye on?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-08-30 at 21:09.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote