Thread: Licensed Haibane Renmei opinions?
View Single Post
Old 2007-05-22, 15:03   Link #101
Joojoobees

NieA_7 had a couple of good points, but I came to it after Haibane Renmei and so I was quite disappointed. I think it implied too much that it was going to have a plot, and then it didn't. I would have far preferred it if it just showed life in that little town, trying to run the bath house. My favorite episode was the one where they get the UFO fuel to heat the bath water.

Unfortunately there were some serious problems with the show, such as the ridiculous relationship between the room mates. Why not just throw Niea out on her ass? She wasn't paying rent, she was eating all the food, and she broke the roof. There was no reason to put up with that.

Haibane Renmei was so great in part because it made a lot of sense, even though there were so many mysteries left unsolved. The characters always made sense. I could really believe they would act the way they did, given the world they lived in. NieA_7 had some nice moments, but it utterly fails in this regard. I just could not believe the characters engaged in action that was true to themselves or the world in which they lived.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote