View Single Post
Old 2011-03-02, 13:13   Link #62
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I don't think you should spoil recent episodes of ongoing series for people who might not have watched them yet in unrelated threads such as this.

One cliche that I really think needs to go is the "comic relief male friend" in every harem/school-based comedy. These characters usually don't contribute anything to the show expect to act as a counterweight to the mysteriously sexually disinterested lead. They're annoying, unnecessary, usually not even remotely funny, and overused doesn't even come close to describing their prevalence.

Notable exception: Clannad. Sunohara is an amazingly funny and cool character.

Why is it popular? No idea. I guess it might just be a difference in culture. I'm willing to concede that it might just be me "not getting" it.
I am not getting it either. I am also of the opinion that the stereotype, or rather a character that is modelled after this stereotype must offer something other being the clown of the class who will always end ALONE in the end of the show.. Which is why I found Junpei Iori in Persona 3 so endearing, I know it is a video game, but he is the more interesting take on the stereotype if not the most. He actually have issues, doubts and a love interest! He is the best thing to have ever happened to that character type.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote