View Single Post
Old 2004-02-28, 19:01   Link #103
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555
Alright the record needs to be set clear here on the sizes of the anime groups; according to you there are around 4000 people on all of the anime groups.

Although many people are doubled up in channels: here is the relative break down before mircx went under:
These are the stats for the Big 4, the largest four groups before the crash.
AonE = 3000 people
ANBU = 2500
AKeep = 2000
AKraze = 1600

And there were quite a few (5-10) groups with 1000 like AJ, and many, many more small groups with a couple hundred members.

I dont know where you're throwing around 200 anime groups of 20 people, but get the facts straight, we're talking about 10000+ people all told, and thats an underestimate because there are dozens of groups; 10000+ people might only include the people in the largest 10-20 groups, while the other dozens of small groups with hundreds of members will also follow the big groups to a network.
But, a lot of the people in each of the "big chans" are the same people. An accurate way to find just how many users there are, would be to ask an IRCOP from Rizon, I guess. I've heard some of them talking about how their user peak has grown a lot since the anime chans moved over. Oh, and btw, Rizon's vhosts are sooo cool.

BT is a downloading protocol. IRC is more of a chatting protocol. In terms of downloading effectiveness, BT is better in some areas. But, you can not chat on BT. You can not really compare the two protocols, and say that one is "better" than the other, but you may compare certain aspects of them. Also, IRC is pretty much real time. So it is very, very fast. For BT, you kind of have to wait ~30 minutes before one of the sites that track new releases scans it. Groups release on IRC before/at the time they release the file on BT, and usually do some sort of announcement using /notice. So, even if you are a smart BT leecher and take advantage of animesuki's RSS feeds, or if you are one of the fans that constantly reload the main page... you would still be slower than IRC leechers.

The following is assuming the group has decent distro. I do not know of any groups that have extremely good BT distro but extremely bad IRC distro, so in general IRC IS faster than BT for most groups.

IRC:
1) You see the channel topic change or you see one of the announcements (/notice)
2) You lookup the bots and see where to download, OR you type the trigger for pack lists everyone else around you are typing (monkey see, monkey do).
3) You start downloading the file.
On my connection, (~150 kb/s download) I have the file ~15 minutes after it is released. Faster for most people.

BT:
1) ~30 minutes after the group releases on BT, animesuki puts it on the site.
2) You click the torrent file.
3) You start downloading (and uploading) the file.
On my connection, if I use the dialup settings, I should get around ~100 kb/s download on average. I have the file ~1 hour after it is released. Slower if I don't cap my upload (as it slows down download).

So um, in terms of speed, IRC is definitely faster. I have no idea where that letter thing ashibaka was doing earlier on came from... as IRC is definitely a lot faster than BT. :shrug:
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote