View Single Post
Old 2010-12-06, 05:35   Link #49
Kagayaki

My take on this episode: Yukari Tamura confirmed (again) for waifu.

In other news, Kanakana is awesome in my book, even when she's whining, bullying children, and throwing things at people. I'm biased because of her VA, but even ignoring that factor, she still comes across to me as mature and good at heart (for a supporting character in a comedy anime). That might sound crazy to some, but bear with me.

So she doesn't like anime. She's allowed to like or dislike whatever she wants, and allowed to express that. If people get offended when she disses something they like, that's their fault. Kanakana speaks her mind and doesn't care what other people think. Good for her. In real life, what she said to Bridget would've been a bit much to say to a kid, and throwing the wand would've been a bit violent, but it's par for the course in a gag scene with comedic overacting, silly music, and anime physics.

Even though she might say otherwise, her actions tell us she doesn't have anything personal against otaku. Even though her friend lied to her and tricked her into being there and despite how she hates the character and the genre, she knows when it's time to put aside her biases and get the job done. Even if she's not a professional idol yet, that's still called professionalism, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. She also gets points for having a dream, working hard at something, and taking pride in her skill.

Notes:

Kirino is lots of fun to watch when she's really excited (Kawaii! What is this? What is this? CG? An illusion? Is she 3D? 3D?! Oh crap, I've got a nosebleed.) Despite this, she comes across as an ungrateful bitch a lot of the time, and her beating up Kyousuke is losing its comedic value. If there's a reason why she continues to act that way despite how nice Kyousuke has been lately to her, it hasn't been fleshed out well yet, so it's the writers' fault for not giving us enough information soon enough.

Kyousuke was stylin' this ep.

Bridget's VA is Misaki Kuno (who hasn't been in a TV anime before, as far as I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
[8 rules and analysis snipped, go read up above ...] I'm basically only going to finish this show at this point because I'm so far in and did enjoy it at one point, but there is no more joy in viewing it.
In my experience, that's never a good idea. I watch anime because it entertains me, so if it's not doing that, there isn't much point. But hey, to each his own.

I think an entire series is too long to qualify as a short story. If there are 20 minutes of content in each episode, a 1 cour show is still at least 4 hours long. That's like two normal-length movies. I think that if you view this specific episode as a short story, though, it fulfills all eight rules.

When you consider that it's only about 20 minutes long, the characters' intentions and desires are clear over the shorter timeframe. Ayase, Kana, and Kyousuke are the main characters, and at least the first two definitely get development. Kana is a blank slate, and Ayase hasn't really been seen since she agreed to try and understand Kirino. We see what happens when characters are in uncomfortable situations as well. When forced to, rather than try to cosplay herself, Ayase tricks her friend into doing it for her. I covered Kana's character development above.

So maybe the writers could have done better on rules 6 and 8, but that's difficult considering they were constrained by the amount of time in the episode. So it's not an award winning masterpiece, but it's good and I don't feel like this episode wasted my time in any way.

RE: Rule 7 - I loved it and you hated it. Passed with flying colors

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2010-12-06 at 07:04.