View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 15:06   Link #102
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sure it is. This anime has delved into ways to make Rikka's club of practical value to the rest of the school while maintaining it as a safe outlet for chuunibyou acting out.

First there was the clean the pool idea. If the club members had managed to do that successfully, it would have put the club in a more positive light for the school.

Then there is how Shinka used the club to help in a school festival. Remember the whole idea to have Yuuta and Rikka face each other in their chuunibyou personas as part of an entertaining act for other students?

There are practical ways that you can have Rikka's club be useful to the rest of the school, while still maintaining it as a safe social situation for Rikka and friends to embrace their inner chuunibyou.
Actually, that's absolutely not what clubs are expected to be: they are solely allowed a room for their distinct and own activities that are there to focus and put up students interest and talents.

As far as it goes, Rikka's club had to undergo chores in order to have their teacher's good graces. Past that, the club doesn't contribute anything to their own members, except just for passing time together.

Shinka was scouted by the drama club, which basically is more fitting to that kind of impersonating performance.
Really, Rikka's club doesn't contribute anything nor in the specifc and general sense.

Quote:
I disagree. It would provide a chuunibyou basis for Rikka re-learning normalcy. It would be Yuuta using the same sort of method that he used to successfully help Rikka pass her Math test.
No, it wouldn't work: Yuuta managed to make Rikka pass because he actually use her chuunibyou to his advantage. How are you going to appeal Rikka's interest for the -reality- using chuunibyou? That's actually going backwards.
In fact, the "covert" method would actually give a proper reason for her to stay in such state, instead of moving forward, as "if acting a bit normal can justify the chuuni most of the time" would severely consolidate the chuuni aspect.

It would absolutely require something that would offset her chuuni interest, to which require an actual change of perseption of reality, instead of faking a "normal behaviour".
Quote:
In any event, Rikka needs to give up on reaching her father in "The Unseen Horizon", yes. But that doesn't mean that the whole of her chuunibyou persona has to go with it.
It is a two fold problem: her chuunibyou is intweened with her longing for her father, and the said behaviour will lead to further problem.
The fact her chuunibyou origin was due to this incident tells a lot about how dear she holds that setup, to the point you cannot make her get over it without putting a dent on that setup. Otherwise, asking her to drop the chuuni act wouldn't affect her that much. It is exactly because she needs that to connect through her father "possible existence" that it is literally carved in her.
She obviously can have some quirks, but the "chuunibyou" itself is really too taxing for her relatives and herself.
Quote:
It's because she doesn't know any other way to be. Rikka needs to re-learn normalcy, yes. But she can do that without discarding her chuunibyou completely.
Keeping a catalyst for a personality issue is just not the best idea ever. It is like asking a junkie to act properly with heroine just 2 inch away from them. Even if my analogy is arguably different in term of psychological impacts and solutions, you get the picture: Rikka doesn't need to turn into a chibi Touka whatsoever, but she needs to clear the chuunibyou to "learn" normalcy. Keeping remnants of the same kind is not healthy.
However, -if- she defines her chuunibyou in a complete different fashion (as in true fun without any underlying purpose, which can be turned off at will), that would be a different story. Her current chuunibyou is nowhere close to be that, because of the very nature and origin of her chuunibyou.

That's why she ought to "change" or adopt another form of such eccentricity, or completely disconnect it from her longing for her father, the latter being extremely unlikely, unless if the purpose of her chuunibyou is overwhelmed by a different one, which could be tied to Yuuta. But so long it is exclusively tied with her father, no dice.
Quote:
And I already said that Rikka needs to learn that some social situations are inappropriate ones for acting out in a chuuni way. So I'm not sure why you're even raising a work situation. We agree on that.
The wording is exactly why I think we do not agree: you think "some situations" shouldn't warrant chuunibyou. I feel the opposite: only few instances chuunibyou is fine, the rest has to be dealt differently.
Generally speaking, such behaviour would be shared with people of the same interest in their own private space. Having a switch off only for the sake of appearance isn't going to cut it. The chuunibyou should actually be the "persona" to draw times to times not the other way around.
Quote:
There's nothing unhealthy about a moderate amount of escapism. And I'm frankly amazed that this is something I have to write to a fellow anime fan of all people...
This is because it isn't what you can call "moderate".
Quote:
Rikka has a great support structure in place. There's little reason to think she can't handle it with the support of other people who can handle it. I'm not committing a "fallacy" at all.
That's the very problem: Shinka and Yuuta had to deal with their own chuunibyou alone and could get over it due to their own epiphany regarding that.
Rikka however is highly dependant of people who are close to her, and should she can't stick with them (such like what happened to Touka), there will be major issues on the long run.
Really, the chuuni cases aren't exactly a clear cut and is highly dependant of where it came from and how the said person deal with it, hence why Yuuta had far less issues to discard it than Rikka.