View Single Post
Old 2011-11-25, 01:20   Link #56
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Man.........@_@ I'm so confused here. Where do we draw the line? Going by what everyone is saying in this thread, couldn't any anime with a cute girl/boy in it be considered to have a "moe element?"
In that case, 99% of anime (compared to the 1% that doesn't have any cute characters in it) would have moe elements.

Moe elements alone, shouldn't really mean anything negative for the show. There are probably three anime series I can name off the top of my head that are completely devoid of any moe elements (to my knowledge): Monster, Speed Grapher, and Witch Hunter Robin (though I am certain people find Robin "moe" just look at that hair!)

But I was just under the impression that moe series are defined as "cute characters just doing cute things" and sells not because of a ground-breaking plot or amazing writing but "because it's cute!!"
That certainly doesn't describe Durarara, Angel Beats, or even Madoka, for me. Those series are not pure fluff....they are opposite of fluff material, in fact.

Or can a moe series be completely serious without being fluffy? If it's serious, is it still a moe series?! WHAT ARE THE RULES OF MOE SERIES!? IS IT EVEN A GENRE OR JUST A STYLE!?

*bangs head against wall*

A show like Ichigo Marshmallow is definitely my definition as a pure moe series but I simply cannot think of something as dramatic and heavy as Angel Beats or mind-f**king Madoka cut from that same cloth; cute girls or no.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-11-25 at 01:45.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote