View Single Post
Old 2004-02-12, 14:05   Link #27
Neon01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
The show examines a struggle with incest, but incest itself doesnt occur. So please stop saying that this show is about that. or at least find one of the threads that already exist on the subject.
Uh, in my book if it examines a struggle with incest, it's pretty much about incest... Incest itself (at least as it's traditionally viewed, I'm not looking to get into a semantic argument here) does NOT imply sexual interaction. To say a relationship is incestuous merely means it includes a man and a women of the same biological unit who are romantically involved. You can't seriously be telling me that show wasn't about romantic relationships....

A first cousin marriage wouldn't seem that bad to me, but if it's within the nuclear family, that's a different story. All I'm saying is that the show was difficult to watch because of how I would approach the situation. Perhaps you have no sibling you could view in this light, but I'm repulsed by the thought of that level of intimacy with my sister, environmental conditioning or no. I'm not doing this to offend other cultures, in fact the post accomplished what it was intended to do thanks to the information I've gained on marriage practice norms around the world, and links to even more info on the topic.

Oh, and I think your comment about searching the archives is misplaced. The whole point is to provide a bank of information on which a member can draw if they should have a somewhat objective question. Personally if I want to generate fresh ideas on a topic as subjective as incest (as it relates to anime), it's my right as a forum member to post a new thread. If I want to know how many episodes there are in the first Robotech series, I'll search.
Neon01 is offline   Reply With Quote